Director of Research - Hong Kong
The Centre for Asian Philanthropy and Society (CAPS) is a uniquely Asian, independent, action-oriented research and advisory organization committed to maximizing private resources for doing good. CAPS works across 18 Asian countries and territories to generate evidence-based insights into how individuals, companies and governments can best address social challenges.
CAPS is seeking to hire a full-time Director of Research with strong research, writing and editorial skills for its head office in Hong Kong. The Director will lead a small but high-powered research team and work closely with the Chief Executive. This position will be advertised on a rolling basis until a suitable candidate is found.
If necessary, CAPS will sponsor the qualified candidate’s employment visa in Hong Kong.
- Design, oversee and manage all research projects including quantitative and qualitative studies across the region;
- Be primarily responsible for researching and writing reports consistent with the high standard expected at CAPS;
- Identify and manage research partnerships to ensure world-class outputs;
- Help nurture and grow research partnerships across Asia, including identifying opportunities for CAPS to play a role in cross-fertilization and sharing of best practice among intermediary partners and social delivery organizations;
- Lead and manage research team;
- Work closely with Chief Executive as a part of senior management team to create and achieve CAPS research plans and goals;
- Participate in conferences, events and meetings across the region to disseminate research findings and be an ambassador for CAPS;
- Publish findings in relevant journals, newspapers and other publications.
- Master’s degree in the social sciences, business or humanities from a reputable university;
- 10+ years of experience in research/consulting/journalism or related fields;
- Stellar writing and editing skills;
- Proficiency in mining information from different sources, including academia, the media, and the corporate and social sectors.
- Ability to transform insights into sharply focused, digestible output;
- Passion for comparative research and a fearlessness in tackling new questions and exploring unfamiliar areas;
- Proven experience of managing and editing a large research project and/or published reports and articles;
- Interest in philanthropy/nonprofit/social sectors;
- Knowledge of at least some of the countries covered by CAPS;
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills for effective teamwork across different cultures and nationalities;
- Self-starter who is intellectually curious and eager to contribute ideas and opinions;
- Willingness to “roll up one’s sleeves” and get involved end-to-end in projects;
- Willingness to travel (as required) to locations outside of Hong Kong;
- Superior English proficiency. Fluency in additional Asian languages desirable.
Additionally, the successful candidate will:
- Appreciate this position as a singular opportunity with the potential for learning and growth;
- Have a sense of humor.
If interested, please send a cover letter, CV, and at least one writing sample to email@example.com. Please note that only applications with a cover letter and writing sample will be considered.